Thursday, June 16, 2011

Yeast-Risen Waffles with Strawberry Sauce


Who doesn't love breakfast for dinner?  Well, my husband.  But when a crazy flight schedule means that he's not always home for dinner, I just wait for one of those nights and then the boys and I indulge.  They're both big breakfast lovers like I am.  Thank goodness, because I don't think I could live without the fun of making a big, carb-loaded sweet and salty dinner every once in a while.  As an added bonus, it reminds me of my dad.  Breakfast for dinner was his specialty and waffles were one of his best.

Now, the ready-to-mix boxed variety and the frozen waffles are just fine for a busy morning.  But when you've got the advantage of an afternoon to pull together a good waffle, making the batter from scratch is a must.  I've got a couple of tried and true recipes that I usually use, but I've been seeing recipes using yeast to raise the batter rather than baking soda and baking powder.  They promise a better flavor- richer and sweeter- so I thought I'd give one a shot.  I'm officially a convert.  The yeast-risen batter was easy to make and the promises of a richer and sweeter waffle were actually true.  I wouldn't make these for a quick breakfast, but when I have the time, I will definitely make these beauties.  Sweet, fragrant, fluffy, and just a hint of orange- they are the best I've ever had.

Oh, and don't skip the strawberry sauce, please.  It's simple, it needs only a few ingredients, and it compliments the waffle perfectly.

Yeast-Risen Waffles with Strawberry Sauce
For the waffles:
1 3/4 cup milk, room temperature
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbs yeast (from 2 packets)
2 eggs
2 tsp honey or agave nectar
zest of 1 medium orange
For the strawberry sauce:
1 16 ounce container strawberries, tops removed and fruit quartered
juice of 1 medium orange
2 tbs sugar

In a large bowl, mix the ingredients for the waffle batter.  Cover with plastic wrap and let sit on the counter for at least 2 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.  The longer it sits, the better the flavor will be.  The batter should rise considerably.
In the meantime, make the strawberry sauce.  Place the ingredients into a small sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium high heat.  Turn down the heat and simmer the mixture for 5 minutes or until the fruit is soft.  Set aside.

When you're ready to make the waffles, pre-heat a waffle iron.  When it's hot, brush on some melted butter and fill the waffle maker 1/2 to 2/3 full.  The batter will spread and puff up quite a bit.  Close the top and cook the waffles 2-3 minutes, until they are golden brown.  If you are serving them all at once you can put them on a cookie sheet in a 200 degree oven to keep them warm while the rest are cooking.  Serve with the warmed strawberry sauce and some nice salty bacon or sausage on the side.  You will be greeted by a chorus of "MMM..." and "Yum" at the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment