Thursday, February 23, 2012

Blood Orange Margaritas

It was a great day at the market yesterday.  I was walking through the produce section, picking up the same old fruits and veggies as always, when I spied something nestled among the lemons and grapefruits that didn't belong.   I practically shouted "Oh my gosh, they have blood oranges!" and scared the poor produce lady who was quietly rearranging the naval oranges on the corner.  Sorry produce lady, but you don't know how long I have been waiting for this gem of an orange to show up in your store.  I couldn't contain myself.  I regret not buying more than the half dozen I hastily grabbed in my embarrassment. 

It was 75 degrees yesterday afternoon, and I made up a pitcher of margaritas with my precious blood oranges.  You can of course make them with any orange you like, but there's something so wonderful about the pretty pink color of the blood oranges.  My lovely neighbor and I shared them as our kids played in the afternoon sun.  I love winter in California...

Blood Orange Margaritas
Makes 1 not-too-boozy drink for yourself and 1 to share

1 cup fresh blood orange juice (about 2 oranges)
3 ounces good silver tequila (I used Patron)
1 ounce Grand Marnier or Cointreau
optional: 1 tsp agave (if you like your margaritas a bit sweeter)

Mix all ingredients in a cocktail shaker.  Put the lid on and give it a good shimmy shake.  Strain over ice into 2 salt rimmed glasses (the salt is purely optional, we enjoyed them without the salt yesterday).  Share.


No comments:

Post a Comment