Monday, May 27, 2013

Pineapple Lime Lemonade

It's unofficial start to the summer, and this is my new official summer drink.

I ordered this drink as an afterthought at a local Mexican place a few weeks ago and after one sip I was hooked.  Afterwards, I spent more time than I should probably admit obsessing over thinking about it.  I just couldn't shake the memory of the first refreshing sweet-tart sip.  It stuck with me and I knew I wouldn't be able to move on unless I could perfect my own version at home. 
Yes, I know, it's just lemonade.  But, I'm telling you that the sweetness from the pineapple and the slight bitter/tart flavor of the lime take this lemonade to a place somewhere beyond the ordinary and everyday.  I dare you to try it and not become obsessed with it to.

Double dog dare you.
Pineapple Lime Lemonade
Makes 1 pitcher, about 2 quarts.
For the printable recipe, click here.

1/2 cup sugar
3 3/4 cup water, divided
zest and juice of 1 lime, plus 1 lime sliced into wedges
1 cup lemon juice (from 5-6 lemons)
1 cup pureed fresh pineapple (from about 1/4 of a pineapple)
1 large handful ice

In a small saucepan, heat the sugar and 3/4 cup of the water until the sugar melts.

Place the lime zest in the bottom of a 2 quart pitcher.  Pour the warm sugar syrup over the zest and let cool.  Stir in the lemon juice, pureed pineapple, lime wedges and remaining 3 cups water.  Stir in the ice and let the lemonade get cold.  You can drink the lemonade right away, but if you let it sit overnight, the lime wedges impart an extra lime-y tartness that we found to be quite delicious.

Serve in cold glasses with an additional wedge of lime.


No comments:

Post a Comment