Thursday, July 16, 2015

Roasted Nectarine Yogurt Parfaits


Y'all, this little post for this simple recipe was such a struggle for me.  I can't tell you how many times I photographed the final product.  I just couldn't find the right light.  Too bright, not enough light, weird coloring.  Just not right.  Finally I just decided to wing it and go super simple one morning before eating my breakfast and lo and behold, it came out just as I had pictured it.  Phew!


I gotta say, the recipe development on this one was just as tricky.  Sometimes things just fall into place the first time and it's exactly as you want it.  This simple little breakfast (all I did was roast some fruit for crying out loud!) took me 4 tries to get right.  That's a lot of yogurt parfaits eaten for many breakfasts in a row.  Thankfully the baby also likes yogurt and fruit so she helped me out!  Also on the bright side, I think I may have found my favorite new (and healthy!) breakfast.

In the spirit of the simplicity of this recipe, I'm going to get straight to it.  Trust me, I could gush all day about it.....




Roasted Nectarine Yogurt Parfaits
Serves 4.
For the printable recipe, click here

I tested this recipe with nectarines because they happen to be what's in season right now.  But I can imagine that it would work just as well with any other stone fruit.  Cherries, peaches or plums would be spectacular on their own or in any combination.  You may just have to adjust roasting time for the different fruits.  I peeled the nectarines the second time around and stuck with it.  I found it was easier to eat without the skins, but if you're not in the mood to make the effort it will make no real difference.  I also tried several types of juice (even hibiscus tea!) and whatever you've got on hand will work just fine.  You just need it to give a jump start to bringing out the natural juices of the fruit.  Finally, I liked the addition of ground ginger and cinnamon as I think they are natural partners with stone fruit, but the fruit will will just as fabulous on its own.  

3 just ripe nectarines, peeled and cut into 8-10 segments
3 tbs orange or apple juice
2 tbs brown sugar (coconut sugar works very well too)
1/2 tsp ground ginger and/or 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)

For serving:
plain Greek yogurt
your favorite granola

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

Toss the fruit with the juice, brown sugar and spices (if using) in a medium bowl.  Pour into an oven safe baking dish and roast for 15-20 minutes, or until the fruit is very soft and the juices are bubbly.  Remove from the oven and let cool.

The cooked fruit will keep for up to three days in the refrigerator.

To serve, layer the fruit and the juices with the yogurt and granola in pretty glasses or bowls.


No comments:

Post a Comment