Thursday, June 2, 2011

Meyer Lemon-Honey Mustard dressed Rib Eyes

So before I say anything else in this post, I need to admit something- this recipe is not mine or even adapted from another.  It is exactly as it came from it's original source.  I feel no shame in letting you know that because this is SO GOOD and there is no way to make it better.


I watched Bobby Flay make this steak on the Today show the other day and went straight out and bought the rib eyes.  It didn't hurt that I also had a couple of perfect Meyer lemons on the tree in my backyard, just screaming for me to use them in some fantastic way.  For those of you who don't know what a Meyer lemon is, it is a very large, thin skinned lemon with a completely different flavor from the regular lemons you get in the supermarket (which are usually Eureka lemons).  These lemons are sweet, almost as if they have a hint of orange mixed in.  They are worth seeking out, truly.  But if you can't find them, you can still make this recipe.  Simply swap half the lemon zest and juice for orange.




Meyer Lemon- Honey Mustard dressed Rib Eye Steaks

You may think that it sounds strange to put a dressing on a steak.  And trust me, my husband, who is a steak purist, gave me a questioning sideways glance when I told him what I did to the precious rib eyes.  But he quickly ate his steak, then grabbed the other half of our six year old's.  No complaints from him that I needed to go back to the Montreal steak seasoning he usually prefers.  This is good, folks.  Trust me.

4 1-inch thick rib eye steaks
1/2 cup honey
1 tbs dijon mustard
1 tbs whole grain (sometimes called country) dijon mustard
grated zest of 1 meyer lemon
4 tbs meyer lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and set aside for at least 30 minutes for the flavors to come together.

Heat grill to medium high heat and pull steaks out of the fridge about 30 minutes before grilling to let them come to room temperature.  Liberally season the steaks on both sides with salt and pepper and grill for about 5 minutes per side.  Let steaks rest on a plate or cutting board for 5-10 minutes before serving.

To serve these beauties, spoon the dressing over them.  Bobby Flay suggested (and I listened) to also smear a bit of herbed goat cheese over the dressed rib eyes.  So I took a couple of ounces of soft goat cheese and mixed in 2 tbs. total of chopped parsley and thyme.  The combination of flavors was fantastic.  I don't even have a picture of the steaks because the smell was so good we couldn't wait to eat them!  Sorry.

Oh, by the way, I have some extra dressing that I plan on putting a few tablespoons of olive oil in and putting on a salad for lunch.  I'm hungry just thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment