Monday, January 23, 2012

Triple Citrus Sorbet

Yesterday was a great day to be outside.  Cool, crisp and sunny- the epitome of a California winter day.  I got a ton of work done in the garden, getting it and my mind ready for planting for spring and summer veggies.  And I harvested quite a bit of winter staples to use in my kitchen this week and share with the neighbors.  Half a dozen Meyer lemons, three heads of lettuce, a bunch of rainbow chard, and about 15 pounds of tangerines ended up on my counter yesterday.  Yes, you read that correctly- 15 pounds.  The neighbors were VERY happy to share in my bounty.

Today is a completely different day, however.  The rain has finally come to Southern California.  It's gray and rainy, but much needed.  It's been an incredibly dry winter and the farmers are rejoicing this change in weather, I'm sure of it.  I don't mind a bit of rain every once in a while.  It's a nice excuse to wear my really cute rain jacket and pull out my Le Creuset pot and braise something for dinner.  But, truth be told, I much prefer the sunshine.
Today's recipe is in honor of my beloved sunshine.  How can you NOT want to look at those bright beautiful colors on a rainy day?  It's impossible to not be cheered up and energized.  Which is just what I need to give me enough motivation to get out of my pjs and make myself do something productive. 

What I like best about this sorbet is that it can be tailored to meet your tastes.  Don't like grapefruit?  Leave it out and use a couple of oranges instead.  Would you like it to taste more like a creamsicle?  Use a whole vanilla bean and scrape the seeds into the sugar syrup.  Can't find Meyer lemons?  Use regular lemons instead for a more tart version ( I might skip the grapefruit and opt for a sweeter orange to balance the tangy lemon flavor).  Don't want to use the wine I suggest in the recipe?  Leave it out, it'll be just fine.  Best of all- don't have an ice cream maker?  Turn the sorbet into a granita by pouring the cooled sorbet base into a container, putting it in your freezer and scraping through the mixture with a fork every half hour or so until you get a frozen, crystalline, slushy-like consistency.  It will taste just as good!
Triple Citrus Sorbet 
Makes about 1 qt sorbet

This sorbet is really great all on it's own, but if you happen to have some guests over and want to jazz it up a little try the citrus and pomegranate salad I paired it with in the photos.  You can find the recipe for the salad here.

For the simple syrup:
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 tangerine
1/2 vanilla bean

For the sorbet:
cooled simple syrup
3 cups citrus juice (I used 1 medium grapefruit, 10 tangerines, and 2 medium Meyer lemons)
2 tbs un-oaked, dry white wine (such as a viogner, sauvingon blanc, or pinot grigio)

Make the simple syrup by combining the water, sugar and vanilla bean in a medium sauce pot.  Use a vegetable peeler to carefully remove strips of zest from the tangerine.  Add the zest to the pot.  Over medium high heat, bring the mixture to a boil.  Boil for about a minute, just until the sugar dissolves.  Remove the pot from the heat and let cool completely.

When the syrup has cooled, strain out the zest and vanilla bean.  In a medium bowl, add the citrus juices, simple syrup and wine.  Stir to combine.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate the mixture for a few hours.  Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions.  Transfer to a freezable container and freeze for two to three hours or until set.  The sorbet will be a bit soft because of the high sugar content and the alcohol of the wine.

Serve 2 or 3 small scoops over the citrus pomegranate salad or all on their own for a refreshing dessert.


No comments:

Post a Comment