Friday, May 4, 2012

Southwest BBQ Chicken Wrap with Jalapeno Cliantro Dressing

Today's recipe is just a quickie.  And not really a recipe so much as a loose set of ingredients that equal one really great sandwich.  It's a riff off of a wrap that I had at one of my favorite BBQ spots last weekend.  I think mine might be even better than the original.  But, shhh, don't tell...
My boys and I had just gone blueberry picking (blueberries in April!) and I thought I'd treat them to lunch.  My oldest picked the restaurant and we happily found ourselves sitting at a table with a pile of peanuts ready to be eaten and the Flyers vs. Devils hockey game playing on the big TV.  Total score!  So there I was checking out the seasonal section of the menu when I found myself at a crossroads.  I couldn't decide between the BBQ wrap and the tri tip chili and the super-smart 7 year old suggested I go for the wrap.  Good choice, buddy.  Your mom had one tasty lunch.
BBQ Chicken Wrap 
Serves 4 hungry people
For a printable version, click here.

I'm not really a big Cinco de Mayo gal, but I bet this would make a great party sandwich.  A margarita or Corona with lime would be perfect alongside the wrap.  And don't leave out the crushed tortilla chips- you'll miss the crunch!

2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup of your favorite smoky BBQ sauce
1/2 of a napa cabbage, shredded (about 3 cups)
1 cup corn, fresh off the cobb or frozen (if using frozen, thaw)
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup jalapeno cilantro dressing (recipe below)
handful corn tortilla chips
1 ripe avocado, diced
4 large flour tortillas

Season the chicken with salt and pepper.  Grill until cooked through (the temperature inside the breast should be 165 degrees).  Remove from the grill and set aside to cool.

In a medium bowl toss together the shredded cabbage, corn, black beans and dressing.  Shred the cooled chicken and in a separate bowl, toss the chicken with the BBQ sauce.  Lay one flour tortilla on a plate.  Layer 1/4 of the cabbage mixture and shredded chicken along the center.  Break up a few tortilla chips and scatter them over the chicken.  Sprinkle some avocado over the top.  Drizzle with a bit more dressing if desired.  Fold the top and bottom of the tortilla over the filling.  Roll the wrap from the side until tight.

Jalapeno Cilantro Dressing
Makes about 1 cup

I've given a suggestion for the amount of jalapeno I think works best, but it really depends on the peppers you get.  Some have no heat at all and some can be pretty spicy.  My suggestion is to start with one and taste the dressing.  If you want more heat, add as much more as you want.  My jalapenos weren't hot at all- I could have even added three.

1-2  jalapenos, seeded
1/2 packed cup cilantro
2 tbs scallions, roughly chopped
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 cup greek yogurt
juice of 1/2 lime

Place the peppers, cilantro, scallions and salt in a blender.  Chop finely.  Add the buttermilk, yogurt and lime juice and blend until smooth.  If you want a looser dressing, add another tablespoon or two of buttermilk.  Refrigerate until needed.


4 comments:

  1. Yum! It would probably be good with some toasted pepitas mixed in, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally Lisa! I spied a jar of pickled jalapenos in my fridge a day later and regretted not throwing a few of those in too. You can do so much with this wrap!

      Delete
    2. Lovely!!!! I love all these flavors! and your cilantro jalapeno dressing is amazing!

      Delete
  2. Ohhh... this looks and sounds really, really good. Bookmarking this one!

    ReplyDelete