Thursday, November 8, 2012

BBQ Turkey Sloppy Joes

This is a fantastically simple recipe that I have been dying to share for quite some time.  But it hasn't been easy.  For one reason or another, my pictures just never come out the way that I want them too.  Perhaps sloppy joes are just not all that photogenic.  This isn't a pretty sandwich, but I've come to the realization that this it's not meant to be beautiful.  It's meant to be a dribble down your arms, fall out of the bun, three napkin kind of sandwich.  A down and dirty sandwich.  And the taste makes up for the lack any beauty, so really I'm not complaining.  I just wish for once it would have cooperated with my desire to take a pretty picture.

So this is my final try.  I only got two decent pictures from the whole bunch I've taken, and those two are just going to have to do.  Because, really truly, this is one of those recipes that once you try it you will wonder how you didn't know about it until now.  It's a top 10 favorite in my house.  A recipe that makes it into the regular rotation with no complaints from anybody.  And it's a quick weeknight meal.  What's not to love about that?  Absolutely nothing!
BBQ Turkey Sloppy Joes
Serves 6
Click here for the printable.

This is a very adaptable sandwich.  Feel free to use ground beef instead of the turkey.  The two are pretty interchangeable in my house.  You can add some chili powder to kick up the spice or use plain tomatoes to make it more little kid friendly (though my little kid likes the green chiles).  Sometimes I melt some cheese like sharp cheddar or pepper jack onto the inside of the top bunSometimes I don't.  And the choice of bun is up to you- these little panini rolls were great, but I also really like a toasted potato bun.

3 tbs vegetable or canola oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
1 clove of garlic, very finely diced
1 14 oz. can of chopped tomatoes, preferably fire roasted and with green chiles
3/4 cup ketchup
1 cup your favorite BBQ sauce
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 tbs apple cider vinegar
1 tsp (or more up to 2 tsp) ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste

In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat.  When it begins to shimmer, add the onions and saute (stirring frequently) until they are translucent and lightly golden.  Add the turkey and cook until browned.  Stir in the garlic and cook just until the garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute.

Stir in the tomatoes, ketchup, BBQ sauce, tomato paste, vinegar and cumin.  Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium low and cook, stirring often, for about 20 minutes or until the sauce is thick.  Season with salt and pepper.

Serve, spooned onto toasted buns.


No comments:

Post a Comment